Thursday, October 14, 2010

Music Video Round-Up - October 2010, Part 2

Just a few days after I did my last Round-Up, CMT premiered a long list of music videos that we had not had a chance to talk about.  Now it's time to do a super-sized Round-Up for Part 2.

Sara Evans, "A Little Bit Stronger"

I have to admit that I have a bit of a biased stance toward my girl Sara, but I just love this song more and more each time I hear it.  The video featured Sara talking about her post-breakup feelings in a video blog.  At first I was distracted because I automatically expected to see bad acting, but that portion fits well with the song, since talking about her feelings is just another way to get "A Little Bit Stronger."  Overall, the video does a fine job in channeling the emotions in the lyrics.  Besides that, Sara just looks so pretty in this video!

Elizabeth Cook, "All the Time"

I thought it would be cool to include a video from an artist who is outside the country music mainstream, but still undeniably talented.  She may not have any radio hits, but trust me, this gal is worth a listen.  This video of the recent single from her new album Welder features several Old-West-style movie clips interspersed with footage of Elizabeth singing.  Elizabeth dons a wide array of unique constumes throughout the clip.  The video is in all black-and-white, which fits the theme well, and gives it a special classic appeal.

Keith Urban, "Put You In a Song"

Keith strikes out.  While this video does have some interesting performance footage, it's clogged up with far too many uninteresting shots.  It takes place entirely in a recording studio.  Such a concept works on some songs (Mary Chapin Carpenter pulled it off with"Shut Up and Kiss Me"), but "Put You In a Song" calls for a more colorful setting.  How about shots of Keith driving with music turned up loud?  Just a thought.

Jason Aldean, "My Kinda Party"

Eh... I could take this one or leave (probably leave it).  It's just what I expected - a bunch of gyrating backwoods babes.  But there were some interesting visual effects.  It's kind of funny how they include several close-up shots of the steel guitar.  It's like Jason's saying, "Look!  I have a steel guitar player!  SEE?!  I am country!"


Jaron and the Long Road to Love, "That's Beautiful to Me"

One half of my brain says, "Aw, how cute!"  The other half says, "Oh, how sappy."  Discuss.

Jerrod Niemann, "What Do You Want"

I like this one!  Maybe I just have a thing for black-and-white music videos.  One interesting touch is that Jerrod's significant other is portrayed by co-writer/ backup vocalist Rachel Bradshaw.  Though our sympathy primarily rests with Jerrod, Rachel's presence serves to remind us that there are two sides to this story. (Off-topic:  That is a really cool hat)

POLL RESULTS
What's your favorite video from Part 2?

Sara Evans, "A Little Bit Stronger" - 42%
Jerrod Niemann, "What Do You Want" - 19%
Keith Urban, "Put You In a Song" - 19%
Jason Aldean, "My Kinda Party" - 14%
Elizabeth Cook, "All the Time" - 4%
Jaron and the Long Road to Love, "That's Beautiful to Me" - 0%

Hooray!  Sara wins!  It's also nice to see that at least one person voted for Elizabeth Cook.  Thanks to the 21 readers who participated in this poll.